It is organised by Open Streets Cape Town and UN-Habitat and is possible thanks to the support of GIZ through the Transformative Urban Mobility Initiative (TUMI) Challenge. It will take place in Cape Town, South Africa from 22-28 October, 2018. The objective is to facilitate a practical knowledge exchange between those working in the non-motorised transport (NMT) space and explore the potential for similar Open Streets initiatives in other African cities.
The study trip will aim to:
- Provide a “real-life” experience of Open Streets activities / placemaking as a participatory and collaborative process that inspires people to collectively reimagine and reinvent public spaces and streets in order to maximize shared value.
- Equip participants with an understanding of how to plan, facilitate and implement an Open Streets initiative.
- Provide guidance to participants upon return and support them in planning for their own Open Streets programme.
- Share and interrogate experiences about the promotion of Non-Motorised Transport in African cities
- Develop a stronger network between streets enthusiasts in different African cities
To be considered, please submit a letter of motivation outlining your current involvement in NMT and placemaking projects and how you think this programme can benefit you in that process. Funding is available based on the motivation and the organisation / individual’s needs.
Please send letters to email@example.com by 17 August 2018. Final participants will be announced on 5 September 2018.